Saturday, May 27, 2017

When It's Hard to Love

Loving people should be easy...especially when you have a passion for people who are struggling....but that isn't always the case.  Love can be challenging.  Knowing a person for over 25 years doesn't necessarily make it any easier either.  When you have been around someone for that length of time you would like to think that there are good qualities in them...which there are.   Janie is a great girl but she drinks too much when she goes out.  George is a hard worker if he doesn't take hydros. Samantha will sleep with anyone if you get her high enough.  Thousands of people with hundreds of addictions...alcohol, drugs, porn, spending too much, binge eating, gambling, sex.  Addictions are cruel.  They take a person away from their friends and family and leave them bankrupt.  The addicted person is typically in denial and can't see the forest for the trees.  Denial makes you think I don't know you're drinking if I don't physically see you drink.  Guess what!?! I can tell when you are impaired.  I know the signs...I struggled with alcohol for years.  Why do you hide it?  People without addiction problems don't hide their consumption.  Their personality doesn't change drastically when they drink either.  No, I'm not nagging. I want more for you than active addiction.  I want you to be the man or women that God intended you to be.  I love you.  Which is why I have to set boundaries.  I have to distance myself  from you.  Especially when I have past struggles in the same area.  I can't take a chance that I may end up in that same place again.  I'm not mean or cold or hateful.  I have to protect myself.  I pray for you and hope that someday you will "get it."  If you don't, I'll love you just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment